Stan Hywet collaborates with outside organizations such as the Summit County Educational Service Center (ESC) and the Ohio State University Extension- Summit County to offer a variety of on-site continuing education workshops and professional development sessions (many providing continuing education credits upon class completion) throughout the year. Look below for current offerings and check back often for future opportunities.
Holistic Health in a Home/House: Stan Hywet as Example
Presented by Kristine M. Gill, RN, PhD.
- Friday afternoon : Sept. 15 or Oct. 13 from 1:30-4:30pm
- Saturday morning: Sept. 16 or Oct. 14 from 10am-1pm
- Location: Manor House
- Tickets: Stan Hywet members: $22., Non-members: $30. (3.00 Contact Hours available)
- Register at least one week in advance for the day of your choice
Description: This continuing education opportunity is approved by the Ohio Nurses Association and is intended for health care professionals to obtain CE credit. As a result of this interactive tour and targeted discussion led by Dr. Kristine Gill RN, PhD., participants will increase their knowledge and skill in assessing a client’s home from a holistic health perspective.
Pre-register at least one week in advance. Click on the link above to purchase online or call the Stan Hywet ticketing at (330) 315-3287 to purchase by phone. For more information regarding contact hours, call (330) 687-5393.
Gardening Gurus Adult Workshops
Gardening Gurus workshops are intended for adults who have an interest in planning, creating and maintaining both functional and beautiful home spaces. The “Gardening Gurus” are members of Stan Hywet’s horticulture team and/or master gardeners who have both expertise in, and a passion for the art, science and tools of successful garden cultivation and management. Grounds admission is included in the workshop fee. Take a walk on the grounds before or after your class.
Gardening Gurus “Winterizing Your Tropical Plants"
- Saturday, September 16, 1-2pm
- Location: Reinberger Classroom
- $10, Stan Hywet member; $13, non-member. Includes self-guided grounds admission.
- To pre-register, call Stan Hywet ticketing at (330) 315-3287 by September 9
Learn the best tips and techniques to keep your tropical and cactus plants alive through our long Ohio winters. We’ll go over watering, soils, insects and other related issues to keep that thumb a nice shade of green! Bring your questions and horror stories. We’ll do what we can to help! To pre-register, call Stan Hywet ticketing at (330) 315-3287 or purchase online by clicking the button above by September 9.
Migrating Monarchs- Butterfly Tag & Release Event
- Saturday, September 30 from 10-11am
- To guarantee a butterfly for tagging, please register by Sept. 23
- Location: Butterfly Habitat
- Member Youth $6, Non-Member Youth $9 and one free adult with each child registration
- Member Adult $9, Non-Member Adult $12
Each autumn, millions of monarchs migrate 2,000 miles in search of a new home. Why? And how do they survive the journey? Discover the answers to these questions, then tag your very own monarch for release. You’ll also learn how to follow your butterfly online using the Monarch Watch website. Price includes 1 tag and 1 butterfly to release, as well as a self-guided grounds tour.
Purchase your tickets online or by phone - 330-315-3287 by Sept. 23
Fall Photography Walk with Ian Adams
- Saturday, October 28 from 2-4pm
- Register by Oct. 21 to reserve a spot.
- Location: Stan Hywet Grounds (meet in the Carriage House Courtyard)
- Stan Hywet Members $25, Non-Members $34
Join Ohio landscape photographer, writer and educator Ian Adams for a photography walk in the gardens at Stan Hywet during the peak of fall color. Bring your iPhone, Android phone or digital camera. Mr. Adams will provide tips on garden and fall color photography as well as coaching for each participant. Participants will also be given an opportunity to purchase Ian’s new eBook, iPhone Landscape and Nature Photography, at half off the cover price. Limit 25 participants.
To purchase tickets, call the Stan Hywet ticketing at at 330-315-3287 or purchase online at stanhywet.org, by October 21.