Each year thousands of visitors enjoy Stan Hywet's artfully landscaped gardens and grounds. Originally a vast estate of more than 3,000 acres, its remaining 70 acres provide an aura of beauty and color that flow into the natural surroundings.
Designed between 1912 and 1915 by renowned American landscape architect Warren Manning, Stan Hywet's grounds represent one of the finest remaining examples of Mr. Manning's private work in the United States. In addition, the English Garden, redesigned by Ellen Biddle Shipman in 1929 (and restored in the 1990s) is one of the only Shipman gardens that is open to the public.
Warren Manning and Manor House architect Charles Schneider worked closely together, and the result is a remarkable blending of nature and architecture at Stan Hywet.